Tuesday, October 28, 2008

 

Plans for the better continue

“Books are my passion, not only writing them and every once in a while even reading them but just having them and moving them around and feeling the comfort of their serene presence.” Frederick Buechner

So what about my book problem? You know, I love books. I don’t always read them but I like to have them. I think Oprah may have solved this problem for me via Amazon’s Kindle. I’m not a gadget girl. In fact, one of the reasons I think I need a husband it to help me out in the world of technology… I’m falling behind fast. But, Oprah has introduced me to the Kindle. I think I need one of those. I think I’m going to ask Santa to help me get one for Christmas. I’m not sure Santa can afford to get it completely for me due to the fact that Santa has lots of folks to look after… But, perhaps he can help me a bit. That’s reasonable right? I’m so fired up about this plan. Part of me wants to wait a year or so to see if a newer version comes out or the price comes down… but, I’m a girl struggling now. If I wait, the madness may return. I may die in a mound of books and never be found. A kindle will be of no use then. Best to save my life now, don’t you think? I don’t know that I can replace all the books I already own with the kindle… but I can stop the intake of additional books.

I’ve also developed this plan to stop buying cds. I am a girl who loves music so I think this will be the hardest thing for me to do. But, I think I’m going to start going to mp3s for my new music. I made this plan last week. Saturday, I broke my new rule. Kate Campbell was at my library for homecoming and I totally fell in love with her song “Sorrowfree.” She wrote it for this summer’s Big Read which, of course, was To Kill a Mockingbird. If you like folk music and you like that book, you should check out that song. (It's on her MySpace which is linked above) Anyway, I wasn’t sure if was available on iTunes so I bought the cd. I had to have that song. I think it’s going to be on my list of forever favorites… others on my list of all time favorites include (in no particular order)
  1. Love of God - Rich Mullins
  2. After the Last Tear Falls - Andrew Peterson
  3. Save Something for Grace -Eric Peters
  4. God Believes in You - Pierce Pettis

So what would be in your list of forever favorites?

Anyway, I'm not sure I can pull of that not buying cds thing. But, I'm looking forward to giving the Kindle a shot.


Comments:
River God - Nichole Nordeman
Dear Old Friend - Patty Griffin
O Sacred Head Now Wounded - Selah
River - Joni Mitchell

And I could keep going but I'll stop there.
 
I do not like the Kindle. It's just me. Promise. You may love it.

I managed my book problem by regularly moving my books -- from home to home, shelf to shelf, room to room. Not counting cookbooks, photo albums or year books, I have one shelf unit of books. I'm trying to hold steady there.

Try to get your hands on a Kindle before you invest, though.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]