Monday, March 15, 2010

 

A Genie Example

Just yesterday someone asked me about Genies and specifically if they were loud in the library and if that is why I didn't like them....

Again, I respect Genealogy. Really, I do. And some genies are EXCELLENT researchers. I will defend them any day.

But, typically Genies are a handful to deal with. They are very demanding. They don't always understand that my one purpose in life is not to do their hobby for them. They will push themselves right in front of a student to get help and hog the microfilm readers.

AND they will talk to you for hours about their family... whether or not you want to hear about... because honestly, who does want to hear about it. No one!

As an example, this morning I went to check the department's email. And there was a genie request. This request is actually very very simple. Not pushy at all. This person simple wants to know if we have a couple of sets of church records.... But, their email is forever long.... And it made me laugh... because in life and in cyberspace this is just how it goes in dealing with a genie. A question that should have been very short... is super long...

(Proper Nouns have been adjusted... you understand.)

I understand SU Library has a collection of Church records.

I am trying to locate the Minutes of two old MXXXXX County Baptist churches:

1. SG BAPTIST CHURCH in founded c1830s.
2. U BAPTIST CHURCH of GXXXX AL, founded 1868.

In researching my family in XXXXX County, I learned SG BAPTIST CHURCH was originally constructed of logs and located on Airport Road in west XXXXXX County. The cemetery at this location has a number of my ancestors buried there.

The earliest burial at SG was my 4g-grandfather, NOEL TXXXXXX, who died in 1837. He was a RevWar patriot.

We believe Noel TXXXXX was one of the founding members of SG BAPTIST CHURCH. I hope your archive contains Minutes of this church.

At some point it disbanded and members formed the U BAPTIST CHURCH OF GXXXXX in 1868. It also has a cemetery adjacent to the church. I hope your archive contains Minutes of this church.

Since Baptists do not baptize infants (like the Catholic churches), the only way I can find information on my relatives is in the historic church Minutes.

I was fortunate to locate Minutes of a Mississippi Baptist Church in BXXXXX and learned my 3g-grandfather was a charter member in 1813!! The Minutes also contained a great deal of information on his family.

Please check your Baptist church historic records and archives to see if you have the Minutes of SG BAPTIST CHURCH (XXXXXX Co) and U BAPTIST CHURCH OF GXXXXX (XXXXXXCo). If so, please advise how I may get a copy or microfilm.
Thank you.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]